The North Carolina Court of Appeals
Special Ceremonial Sessions
Presentation of the Ribbon Cutting for the Renovated Court of Appeals Building
GOOD MORNING: Almost 2 years ago, on the last day of January 2008, we gathered in the courtroom upstairs to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the first session of this Court. At that gathering, we announced that this grand old building, which some say is second only to the Capitol in its classic beauty (and others say it might not be second) and has been the home of so many of the great institutions of our State government, and yet has suffered from inattention over those many years, would undergo a complete renovation. Today marks the completion of that process, which actually began over 4 years ago. Read more . . .
Celebration Honoring the Presentation of the Portrait of R.A. "Fred" Hetrick, Chief Judge
Robert Alfred “Fred” Hedrick was born in Statesville, North Carolina on 23 August 1922. He graduated from the Governor Morehead School for the Blind in 1943, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1946, and from its School of Law in 1949
Hedrick served as Iredell County's prosecuting attorney for eight years and as a judge on the Recorder's Court in Statesville for 10 years. In 1969, Governor Robert Scott appointed Hedrick to the newly created North Carolina Court of Appeals. Hedrick served on the Court of Appeals for 24 years, eight of those years as the Court's chief judge. Read more . . .